Branches, Brush, Leaf, and Grass Rules
The Town will pick up and remove brush for residents that perform normal pruning of trees and bushes/brush too large for the trash
- Anything with thorns or thistles should be put into a separate pile from the branch pile, and needs to be bagged in brown "recyclable bags", NOT to exceed 50 pounds..
- Branch piles should be no longer than 4 foot and no higher than 4 foot.
- Organic yard waste (anything other than branches) includes ornamental grasses, flowers, and shrubs, and needs to be bagged in brown "recyclable bags", NOT to exceed 50 pounds.
- All branch cut ends should be pointed in the same direction.
- The branch piles need to be placed in the front of the premises.
- Trees and brush removed by a contractor will not be cleaned up by the Town. It shall be the owner or occupant's responsibility for the removal of such material.
- The Town will not pick up or handle any brush or other debris from the clearing of any lot or cutting down of whole trees, and (no logs or stumps).
- REPUBLIC SERVICES WILL ALSO TAKE BRUSH THAT IS BUNDLED AND NO LONGER THAN 4’ LONG AND 4’ HIGH. IT SHOULD BE PLACED OUT ON GARBAGE DAY ALONG WITH CANS. REPUBLIC SERVICES DOES NOT TAKE LEAVES.
- Please Call 926-4212 to be put on the list for your limb and brush removal, if there is no answer, or it is outside of normal working hours please leave a message with your NAME, ADDRESS, and PHONE NUMBER. You may also use the "Public Works Service Request Form" link to send us your request.
- LINK TO SERVICE REQUEST FORM https://www.townofporter.com/public-works/webforms/public-works-service-...
Republic Services will pick up bagged grass clippings. It is important that they are only grass clippings; not leaves or brush. Please bag grass clipping and place them with your trash or place grass clippings in the trash bins. Trash haulers will take up to 6 bags of clippings not to exceed 50 lbs. each. Republic Services can be reached at (219) 929-1150 Ext. 1608.
Usually starting about the third or forth week of October every year for approximately 6 weeks, or until the first snow fall, the Town of Porter will pick up leaves Monday through Friday. Leaves should be raked to the curb in front of your premises. Do not place leaves in alleyways. Do not mix loose leaves & brush together because each of these materials requires different equipment for collection. Leaf piles must not contain brush, hedge clippings, vines, grass clippings, trash, garbage, pet debris or metal objects; if so leaf pile will not be picked up. Please refer to the pick-up schedule found under the Public Works the link here. Bagged leaves must be in brown paper leaf bags and weigh less than 50 lbs.
All organic yard waste (yard waste includes ornamental grasses, flowers, shrubs; anything other than branches) needs to be bagged NOT to exceed 50 pounds. Ornamental grasses can be bundled and tied not to exceed 50lbs, absoulutely no regular grass clippings!. This material may also be taken to Porter County Compost Site locations.
The Town of Public Works does not grind or remove tree stumps.
Republic Services will pick up one large item weekly. Additional large items can be picked up by contacting Republic Services at (219) 929-1150 ext. 1594 and will incur an additional fee.